Students who plan to play sports at an NCAA-member school must be certified as eligible to compete by the NCAA Eligibility Center. Students must meet academic standards as defined by NCAA-member schools and maintain amateur athlete status. It is the student’s responsibility to be informed and apply for eligibility.
General guidelines for college-bound student-athletes:
- Make sure you choose high school courses that are approved by the NCAA on the NCAA High School Portal; MSHS's NCAA High School Code is '480797'.
- Maintain the required GPA.
- Your sophomore year, register with the NCAA Eligibility Center. This step can be completed at any time but registering early allows students to plan accordingly.
- Maintain and verify your amateur status.
Use the below resources to inform your next steps:
- Obtain a copy of the comprehensive NCAA Guide for the Student Athlete.
- Download the Initial-Eligibility Brochure for a general overview of the NCAA Eligibility Center requirements.
- Review the NCAA Three Divisions to learn which NCAA division might be right for you.